Monday, July 2, 2012

Stars

MAN!!!! I miss stars. This seriously just hit me. I miss being able to stand outside in the middle of a cool, crisp night (or even a hot and muggy one) and gazing into the depth of the universe. The depth of creation. Don't get me wrong, I really do love living in the city, but there is a huge part of me that longs for starry nights. A piece of my soul that misses seeing that grandeur.

Its hard not to look at the stars and feel small. Perhaps there are some that see the stars and think that they are revolving around them. Who am I to judge. All I know is that stars seriously help me contemplate.

When I was in high school and lived in the sprawling metropolis of Lynchburg, OH (yeah...its a big place) I would often sit on our back porch at night and just think. I wish I could say that I sat outside for hours, but honestly mosquitoes generally had me inside after 30-40 minutes. The important thing is that those times were profound.

Feeling small to God is something that I think is needed. We need to know that we are tiny compared to the God who was able to create the entire universe. We need to know that we are so small. Not that we don't matter. Rather, isn't it easier to trust in a God that is capable of bringing such beauty and majesty into existence? Isn't it easier to believe that god really can open the doors that need to be opened in your life? Shoot! Running my tiny life is surely nothing to a God that can do such amazing things. 


I know not everyone will look at the stars like I do, but that isn't really the point. What is your "I'm tiny" time with God. What moments do you look at God and truly see the comparison? Because we all need those times in our life. If you don't, I challenge you to try to find a time when you can truly see what you are in relation to God. Loved, but oh so small. 

No comments:

Post a Comment