So upon our last meeting, my mentor, Larry Travis, posed a question to think about that we would discuss the next time we met. The question was this: What do you bring to the table?
What do I bring to the table. Now there is something that I have never really been able to figure out. It is a question that I have been struggling with all the more in the recent months as I search and search for a job in ministry. It is amazing how enough rejection can make a person less confident that they have anything to bring to the table, yet alone a list of things.
However, this was what I was tasked with doing. Somehow I had to figure out what I had to offer a church that would hire me. I have found something in doing this. We all have a lot more to offer than we think. It is easy to look at things and think that we aren't capable of doing anything. It is easy for me to look at a church or ministry that is way to big and think that I can't. It is easy for me to see a particular ministry and think that I am not qualified.
It is a lot easier to not do something than to do it. Anyone that has ever played a video game has had this proven to them. I think to the original Super Mario Bros. The final castle is SOOO much easier to not beat. In fact, I have managed to not beat it for my entire life. However, God didn't give us gifts and passions and characteristics to not do something. Each of us offer something that no one else can. To deny this is to deny that God has purpose in life.
To say that I have nothing to offer is to say that God can't use me. It says that I have no purpose in life. That is such an insult to God. The God that was capable of using a dozen men to spread a revolution across the known world.
So now after doing this exercise, I have a new question for myself: How big can the table be? Because quite honestly, I want to be on the biggest table possible. How about you?
No comments:
Post a Comment